Wednesday, May 30, 2012

RW Summer Running Streak Fail-To-Be and Modifications

I've made it 3 days into the Runner's World Summer Running Streak.  I plan to run tomorrow, so that'll be 4.  But I'm pretty sure there won't be a 5th day.

After trying it for a few days and giving it some thought, here's my reasoning for bagging it so early:
1. I've never run 7 days in a row.  I've never run 5 days in a row.  And I still love running.  Do I need to run 38 days in a row to love it more?  Or would I end up not liking it as much (more likely!) because I'm "forcing" myself to do it?
2. I originally thought it would be a good idea because it would keep me motivated to run in the summer heat, and this may be true.  But running in the heat everyday makes me never want to run again.  So if I only run 3 or 4 days a week, it'll give me a break, but I (hopefully) won't end up hating it and giving up like I have every other summer.
3. I'm attempting to change my foot striking because I've seen multiple pictures that look like this recently.



My heel is in pain just seeing this picture.  While I've been fortunate enough not to have any serious injuries due to how I hit the ground, I can't imagine that it's good for me.  And I have had some minor leg issues so think it's time to change this.  While I'm adjusting, I figure I shouldn't try anything else new.  My calves are already sore from mid-foot striking for just a few days, so I want to be able to give them a rest when I think they need it.
4. I love to sleep.  Today I only had to get up and run one mile, but you would have thought I was forcing myself to eat rocks (did you know that there are people that actually do that?? Weird...).  It was a struggle, it wasn't fun, and I don't want to do this to myself for 4+ weeks.  I can handle waking up early to run a few days a week, but not everyday in the summer.  Isn't that when I'm supposed to relax and sleep more?!


I'm not going to stop running, and I still want to stay motivated, so I'm going to create my own Summer Workout Streak that I think will work better for me.  I'll start in full swing next week, since this week is already half over, and will go through July 14.

1. Run at least 20 miles a week.  (Seeing that I only ran 26 miles in all of July last year, this will be a struggle for me.)
2. Do plank everyday. Do squats everyday.  (Ever wonder how to work your inner thighs?  Try these squats!)
3. Go to one cross training class a week.  (I haven't done this in a year, and know it's good to do...so will get back into it!)


AND! I'm giving myself an incentive if I do it!: Buy something running related that I want.  Yay!



For me, I feel like this new plan is well balanced, challenging, and will make me a better runner.  Verdict is still out on whether the Runner's World Streak would make me a better, happier runner, or a more tired, less excited runner.  Although I think I know the answer to this...

Stay tuned to see if I do THIS streak since we can be quite certain that the Runner's World one will not be completed!


Are you doing the RW Summer Running Streak?  Do you have your own summer training/workout plans?  Who wants to cross train with me?!

2 comments:

  1. Beth @RxBethOnTheRunMay 31, 2012 at 10:52 AM

    I had the same discussion with myself regarding the Run Streak and decided it wasn't for me either. I like your new plan! I haven't really come up with a specific plan, but I want to continue strength training twice weekly, cross training twice weekly and run 3 times each week, keeping my mileage around 20 miles/week! I will definitely cross train with you! Spinning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so ready to jump on this streak, but I decided not to at the last minute for 2 reasons. #1 I know my body and it would hate me if I ran every day. #2 I think I would get burned out and the last thing I want is to not love running anymore. So, I am sticking to my regular running schedule with crosstraining mixed in. Enjoy your crosstraining:)

    ReplyDelete